Project Assistant, Operations – Water-to-Cloud
About the Tata Center for Development (TCD)
Based at the University of Chicago Trust in India, the TCD works to identify novel solutions to India’s most pressing development challenges and to ensure that these ideas are translated into outcomes that improve people’s lives. We do this using a unique approach that harnesses rigorous, evidence-based insights from UChicago economics research combined with strategic outreach and partnership with government, industry, and innovators. Representing the joint work of the Tata Trusts and the University of Chicago, TCD is creating a new model for impact in India. TCD is an affiliated center of the Becker Friedman Institute for Economics.
About the Project
Reporting to the Executive Director of the UChicago Trust in India, the project assistant will support experiments involving the setting up of a cyberphysical sensing network for monitoring pollution in large water bodies such as rivers and lakes. The project will involve building and testing such a system on Ganga and Yamuna along with lakes in Bangalore in India. It will involve the use of mobile sensing platforms (using commercial components) that will continually monitor water quality parameters, thus creating a high resolution spatial and temporal map of the river that will be transmitted to and curated on the Cloud on an open access data platform. This data will then be used, in conjunction with physics and machine learning based models, to project the spread of pollution, pin-point sources of pollution, and correlate river quality data with socio-economic indicators. Specific details on the work done so far are available at thoreau.uchicago.edu
Type of Position: Consultant Location: Varanasi / Kolkata region Role:
We are seeking a science technician to work as part of the team in India for the Water-to- Cloud project. The position offers the opportunity to work directly with the senior research lead on the project and the project manager. The position is based out of Varanasi or the Kolkata region, India. The position is temporary and involves assisting in day-to-day operations related to a pilot project on the Ganga River. The responsibilities will be as an assistant in the scientific experiments and will involve the following duties and responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to project by calibrating sensors, maintaining sensor equipment, taking data during field experiments, organizing day to day logistics regarding hiring local boat and taxi services.
- Travels to project sites as required and transport samples to local labs for sample analysis.
- Collect data and downloads it through toolbox.
- Works with research lead and Project Manager to execute work plan for
- measurements, site selection and lab analysis on a day-to-day basis.
- Supports to generate tables and graphs as requested by the PI.
- BSc / MSc in water, chemistry or environment related field
- Previous experience working on lab instruments and a sound knowledge of water
- Proven track record working with sensors and instruments for in-situ measurements
- and liaising with labs
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with local people for logistical activities
- Good understanding of chemistry required for operating water monitoring sensors
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of water quality index and pollution sources desirable
- A desire for learning and innovating.
Fill the form at goo.gl/nkvEW2 (do include your CV and cover letter)
For queries write to Professor Supratik Guha: firstname.lastname@example.org (CC’ing Priyank