Scientist, River Modelling – Water-to-Cloud Project
About the Project
In the Water-to-Cloud project we use a cyberphysical sensing network deployed in large bodies of water such as rivers and lakes to gain a better understanding of river pollution, its spread, its origins, and its socio-economic impact. Water bodies examined so far have been sections of the Ganga , Yamuna, Brahmaputra along with lakes in Bangalore in India. We use mobile sensing platforms (using commercial components) that continually monitor water quality parameters, thus creating a high resolution spatial and temporal map of the river that is then transmitted to and curated on the Cloud on an open access data platform. This data will then be used, in conjunction with physics and machine learning based models, to project the spread of pollution, pin-point sources of pollution, and correlate river quality data with socio-economic indicators. Specific details on the work done so far are available at thoreau.uchicago.edu
Type of Position: Consultant
Location: Varanasi / Kolkata region preferred, but location is negotiable.
We are seeking a scientist with a background in fluid flow modeling to work on the Water-to-Cloud project, in order to set up and execute mathematical models to study the flow and spread of pollution in rivers and lakes. The scientist will work closely with experimentalists and will use data generated by the sensor network to refine the simulations of the flow. The position offers the opportunity to work directly with leading science and engineering researchers at the University of Chicago. The person will be working directly with Prof Supratik Guha at the Institute for Molecular Engineering, the Principal Investigator for this project and with other India based colleagues on the project. This is a temporary position required to set up and execute the hydrodynamic model interface for the pilot project on the Ganga River, as conceived by the Principal Investigator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sets up, run and evaluate hydrodynamic flow models for water bodies under study. Interact with experimentalists in the group for the design of experiments.
- Execute the plan of PI and Project Manager for providing hydrodynamic flow modelling data for an end-to-end water to cloud system.
- Acquire, organize and analyze environmental field data.
- Perform quality-control checks on model input and results.
- Develop statistical and graphical comparisons of model results and data.
- Automation of graph generation, documentation of processes, development and O&M as requested by PI.
- We prefer a Ph.D. in the sciences or engineering with knowledge of fluid mechanics and experience in fluid flow or hydrological modelling. Experience in the use of engineering software packages will be helpful. For the candidate with the right expertise, a Masters degree will be adequate as well.
- Experience with Matlab, R, modelling programs, etc. suitable.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of large sets of data useful.
- Experience with automation of data analytics to support the research design preferred.
- Attention to detail required.
- Strong programming and data analytics skills.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A desire for learning and innovating continuously is a must.
- Fill the form at goo.gl/nkvEW2 (do include your CV and cover letter)
- For queries write to Professor Supratik Guha: email@example.com (CC’ing Priyank Hirani: firstname.lastname@example.org)